Subscribe to: |Posts (RSS 2.0) |Posts (Atom)|

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Sweet Dreams

I should publish my woes here more often! After my last post, my eldest has had a few (relatively) good night's sleep!

I'm sure that Dad being away on business last week contributed greatly to the Autistic Week from hell, in which my eldest had high frequency night waking, night mares and night terrors, and by day was unable to concentrate, and exhibited a lot of his 'self stimulating' behaviour (stuff like the squeeling and the hand flapping).

Poor Dad just can't win - when he goes away, my boy is obviously disturbed, but also rises to the occasion, being helpful and taking charge of his younger brothers (sometimes when NOT required or appropriate!). When Dad comes home, my boy yells at him "Shoe Fly, Shoe!!" (he learnt this phrase to mean 'go away' around 2.5 - 3 yrs of age from the song 'shoe fly, don't bother me, shoe fly, don't bother me, shoe fly don't bother me, coz I don't need no company' and has used it ever since to tell people to go away and stop bothering him, particularly when he's under stress).

Dad has learnt to deal with his odd little boy. Instead of taking it all to heart and being hurt and angry, Dad asked me to have the other two while he took our eldest fishing, for quality time.

Things are pretty much back on track now and settling nicely - both sleep and behaviour patterns are about 'normal' for our special guy.

So, it's true - "This too, shall pass"

No comments: