Subscribe to: |Posts (RSS 2.0) |Posts (Atom)|

Friday, July 20, 2007

Moving to a big bed - End of an era

My littlest fella is spending his first night in a proper bed tonight. It's a trundle bed, so when he falls out, it's only 10" to the floor. He'll be frightened and upset, but not hurt (well, maybe his pride).

I used a proper big bed for my first born and a rolled up heavy wool blanket under the sheet as an 'edge' to stop him falling out (worked pretty well and didn't cost anything, unlike a proper bed barrier, also easy to replicate if away from home), but learnt from that and used a trundle for child #2. No need for any kind of barrier, and no fear about falling out. He fell out twice and that was that.

This is the end of the 'baby era' in my house. The previous two occasions I've moved kids into 'big beds' I've been in a hurry to free up the cot for the next one! This time, I can take it down and move it on to another home. No more babies. Yes, I'm a little sad, a bit clucky, etc. But I'm also happy, relieved and can see the light at the end of the tunnel. So I recognise and honour all my feelings, and then we'll be moving right along...

The next era begins in January - I will become a 'school mum' as my eldest goes to school, age 5.5yrs.

No comments: