Subscribe to: |Posts (RSS 2.0) |Posts (Atom)|

Monday, July 9, 2007

a spoonful of sugar

I am enjoying the benefits of alternative healthcare so much that I wanted to extend treatment to my kids too. However, as anyone can tell you, naturopathic herbal remedies taste disgusting! There's no way to disguise it, hide it, or otherwise deceive someone in to taking it. I've tried bribing the kids with lollies - this tactic is enough to gain co-operation with most things horrible - to no avail.

In the end, I asked my naturopath. Did I really have to put the remedy in a WHOLE glass of juice/water and get them to drink it ALL??

The answer is simply NO. Here are the alternatives:
  • The dilution is just for pallitability - the medicines taste worse the more concentrated they are. So, use the minimum you think necessary. This morning, I managed to get away with 1ml of 'potion' and 4mls of water, followed, of course, by a lolly to get rid of the taste.
  • Mix the 'potion' with honey to make a syrup and administer that way. I tried this at lunch time. Tastes like cough mixture, but went down successfully. The after-taste of the medicine was so strong though, even I resorted to a lolly!
Wishing you all the very best of health!

PS - "lollies" here in Aus doesn't mean lollipops - it refers to all kinds of candy and sweets.

No comments: