Subscribe to: |Posts (RSS 2.0) |Posts (Atom)|

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Days 2 & 3 of school

For Oneson, day 2 of school was awful. 2 biting incident and 1 pushing. The boy he pushed over went down like a felled tree! He was three times Oneson's size!

Oneson caught sight of me as he was returning from his advancement center to his home room. He began to scream and the accompanying teacher had to bodily pick him up to get him back in to his home room. When he re-appeared with his home room teacher, I noted the very firm grip she had on his wrist!

On the positive side, it left his teachers in no doubt that he needs support in the classroom. The teachers have all dealt with it magnificently and see it as a minor set back on the road to settling and integration. Both advancement and class teachers are so switched on. They are reading his behaviour exactly as I would and are modifying routines exactly the way I would suggest and I don't have to say a word! It's such a relief to me to see he is in such great hands.

Day 3 (today) was a great day for both Oneson and his teachers. All went well. I stayed a little this morning at the request of his home room teacher because his advancement teacher was held up and it was PE with another teacher who hadn't met him yet. I enjoyed the chance to meet some of Oneson's classmates and just got stuck in as a general 'helper' where I could see the need.

We have decided I shall collect him directly from the advancement center and this worked well tonight. Much better day. Less squeeling - they are redirecting this to 'shhh, shhh' instead. No aggression or violence today. His advancement teacher mentioned she's considering a weight vest because he becomes instantly calmer when you dump his enormous school bag on him. He is also seeking a lot of tight hugs and pressure. I replied "you must be psychic! I was going to speak to you about that for the same reasons!".

No comments: