Subscribe to: |Posts (RSS 2.0) |Posts (Atom)|

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Those autistic moments...

My special chap's going through another of his more autistic phases - just like my mood varies from day to day, his demonstration of autistic behaviours is greater on some days than others.

Preschool noticed a couple of weeks ago he was becoming overly rough and aggressive again. We noticed last Saturday as the meds wore off at the park - the hands came up, tucked tight against the shoulders... then they began to flap... then he got up on his toes, and finally the whole performance began - running on toes in tight circles, squeeling and flapping his hands. He was totally out of control.

The degree of severity and the frequency of such behaviour has been much higher than average since Saturday. The mornings are worst - neither myself nor my hubby are morning people, and the squeeling is worst then. There's been a couple of mornings we've sent him out in to the garden and closed the door while we BREATH (and drink tea/coffee). Watching him and his youngest brother (almost 2) standing nose to nose having a squeeling contest would be amusing if it wasn't 6am in a small suburban house.

I was at a loss for the trigger. I decided it must just be another little phase - he's a bit like shares on the stock market - he goes up, he comes down, but the over all trend is currently up.

Then it hit me like a ton of bricks - how could I be so dumb?! Reading the newletter from his preschool informing me of all the staff changes that have been going on for the past 2 weeks.

Well, That'll do it!!

So, when I went to pick him up yesterday, I pointed it out to the staff there - reminded them yet again HE'S AUTISTIC - any change will have unpredictable behavioural consequences, ESPECIALLY because no one has thought to sit down and help him adjust his mental script by talking to him about all the changes!

Fingers crossed for today.....

No comments: